Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Poems and Prayers and Promises

In 1969 a book written by Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross was published called "On Death and Dying" in which she introduced her theories on grief. She states that people who learn they are dying, or who have suffered great personal loss or tragedy, go through five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and finally, acceptance.

I do not want to write extensively on her model so I am including a link to a Wikipedia article on the subject for those who wish to know more. I certainly do not want to give incorrect information.

Kübler-Ross model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I learned about these stages of grief in nursing school and I saw examples of them often in my work. Kubler-Ross says that not everyone goes through all of the stages but they do go through at least two of them. They may not always be experienced in the order given either and some people go back and forth between the stages.

In a previous posting I mentioned that Papa and I have not really discussed his condition or his wishes in depth. Well... until thinking about this today, I believed I had not seen those stages of grief either. Now, reflecting on this, I believe I have seen at least two in him: denial and depression, and some in me too. I feel he is in denial because he doesn't HEAR what the doctors say, and also what they do not say. It's as if he is saying... they have given me this diagnosis but I know they don't really mean ME! It's not really as serious as they say it is.

As for anger... he has not really shown that. Maybe inside himself he does feel angry but there has been no outward sign... no rending of clothing, no screaming or throwing objects or wrecking furniture or punching holes in walls. This to me is unusual because I have always considered Papa to be an angry man. All of our lives together I have seen him be quick to anger and usually for no good or apparent reason and often out of proportion to whatever offense may have or have not happened. Perhaps this in it's self is a sign of grief because it is unusual behavior.

Bargaining is the same, I have not seen it but I do think this is something that people internalize. I'm sure he has done his bargaining... I can not imagine him not praying to God... please let me live long enough to see Lia and Mae and Noelle get married, I promise I will do better, go to church, treat my wife better, love my daughter unconditionally like You love me, give to charity, notdoallthebadthingIknowIshouldn'tdo... just give me five more years, three more, one more, please God.

Depression is a given with Papa. Just like anger, I believe he has lived with depression on and off for many years, sometimes worse than other times. I have even suggested several times that he ask our doctor about medication for depression but he never has. I think he doesn't take that suggestion seriously. I ask myself, how could he NOT be depressed, knowing that he may die soon, may die painfully? It would depress the hell outta me, I can tell you that. His days now pass with him sitting on the couch, in the favored spot where he can best see the TV. He has control of the remote most of the time but he does share. Daughter complains seldom when her father wants to watch MMA or yet another karate type movie. Mae-Mae brings her books and toys to her "Ming-o-ma" and he helps Eli get over his qualms about eating by praying for him to ease his fears. Right now he is not really down-and-out sick. He is tired most of the time and he has nausea now and then but he is not having the vomiting and/or diarrhea that so many chemo patients do. But that is his activity, sitting on the couch watching TV. We go for short rides around the countryside once or twice a week and we go to chemo. Other than that he is on the couch or in bed.

Yesterday he asked me to make him a sandwich. For many weeks now I have been trying to get him to do more for himself and finally I had just had enough. I yelled at him... you are not that sick Mike. You are quite capable of making your own damn sandwich. My work here has increased ten-fold since you have been home all the time and since the kids have moved in. It's a lot more work for me and for Melanie and you are perfectly able to do things for yourself.

I tried not to get angry with him but I was very angry, and out of proportion to the offense too. One thing about those stages of grief... they happen to family members too and I am also going through them. You know what? I feel like a real bitch right now, complaining about this. For the last several postings I have been getting responses from readers about what a good wife I am, how loving I am, how lucky Papa is and I feel guilty. I do not feel good or loving. I am angry on so many levels and for so many reasons. I am not ready to be his care-giver. I do not want to have to take care of him like I took care of his brother. I resent having to give up all my free time and the loss of my privacy. I was used to being alone and I rather liked it. My kids visited and then they went home, my husband was on the road and while I saw him most every day and he was home every weekend and several days during the week, still I had time to myself... time to read or sew or just do what ever I wanted. I feel I have earned these rights and now they are gone. This kind of thing was supposed to be years away yet, not now. I feel betrayed. I almost feel like he (Papa) did this to me... how incredibly wrong is that anyway? Remember what I said before? Humans plan and God laughs.

God, how horrible a person does that make me?? I am not sick... well, who knows? I could be...but I am not facing known death, albeit death that could yet be years away. I have not had my belly cut open and a large part of my insides removed, left with an enormous scar and a new abdominal topography. I am not the one that has had to endure the rigors of radiation and chemotherapy. I think I am a very selfish person. I need to remember that I am in my marriage for life, for better or worse, in sickness and health... all that stuff. We have had a lot of ups and downs, some very serious, and we have always managed to get through it. We will get through all this too. I will get through this.

So, grief... denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. I think we actually arrived at acceptance before we hit those other stages. After all, there is nothing we can do about the fate that has been handed us. We just have to learn a way to deal with it.

Papa and I have always loved the singer John Denver. I remember so clearly one vacation we took when we had our motor home. We went to Virginia and West Virginia and I remember driving through the Appalachian's listening to the 8-track ( see how long ago that was? lol) playing John Denver. I have been thinking about him for some reason, while writing today, and I remembered a song he wrote that I have always felt was as much about contemplating death as it is about contemplating life. I hope you will take a minute and read it.

Lyrics to Poems, Prayers And Promises by John Denver

I've been lately thinking about my life's time
all the things I've done and how it's been,
and I can't help believin' in my own mind
I know I'm gonna hate to see it end.
I've seen a lot of sunshine
slept out in the rain spent a night or two all on my own
I've known my lady's pleasures
had myself some friends
spent a time or two in my own home.

Days they pass so quickly now, the nights are seldom long
time around me whispers when it's cold.
The changes somehow frightens me, still I have to smile
it turns me on to think of growing old.
It's tho' my life's been good to me there's still so much to do
so many things my mind has never known
I'd like to raise a fam'ly
I'd like to sail away
dance across the mountains on the moon.

Ref.) I have to say it now it's been good life all in all,
it's really fine to have a chance to hang around.
and lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire,
while all my friends and my old lady sit and pass a pipe around
and talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in, how sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care,
how long it's been since yesterday what about tomorrow and what about our dreams and all the memories we share
[ Poems, Prayers And Promises Lyrics on http://www.lyricsmania.com/ ]

1 comment:

  1. I think it is natural to go through your own process of the five steps. I know that I was in denial when I met my Mr. about his disease. After we married I was angry about his disease because I don't like geting up from the couch every time he wants help putting a coat on. and I get impatient waiting for him ot get out of the car because it takes him longer. There's moments of impatience, anger, then guilt for not being more understanding, but we're people too and we give up certain things for the person we marry. So, I suppose what I am trying to do here is say that guilt will mostly go away, it is what it is, the situation is what it is, and our feelings are what they are and sometimes we have to release. The men know that, or they should, not that it's an excuse but normal.

    :)

    ReplyDelete